Glazed Orange Cauliflower Chicken 😍🧡
Serves 2-3 people
2 raw small heads of cauliflower, makes around 3 cups of florets (650g)
Canola or other neutral oil, for frying
Extra orange slices
Sesame seeds, for garnishing
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup room temp. water
1 1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup desiccated coconut (or sub more bread crumbs)
1 cup orange juice from 2 navel oranges (or orange juice of choice)
1 tsp orange zest
1/4 cup maple syrup or other liquid sweetener of choice
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar or white vinegar
2 tbsp room temp. water
Cornstarch Slurry for Glaze:
2 tbsp cornstarch + 4 tbsp room temp. water, mixed
1. In a bowl, mix the ingredients for the batter until it turns into a smooth, thick consistency.
2. Evenly coat the florets in the batter. You can do this in batches.
3. In another bowl, add in the bread crumbs and desiccated coconut. Mix.
4. One by one, place each cauliflower into the breadcrumb mixture. Coat well using one hand (this is to avoid messy hands—I usually use one hand for dry and one hand for wet when coating cauliflower). Press down the bread crumbs on the cauliflower. Set aside once coated.
5. Heat a frying pan with some oil. Once hot (you can add in some bread crumbs to test the heat—it will start to bubble once hot), place the cauliflower florets and cook until golden brown, moving it around on each side every 2 minutes or so.
6. Once golden brown, set aside on a strainer to drain excess oil or you can put this on a plate with paper towels. Let cool for a few minutes.
7. For the glaze, mix everything into a sauce pan and cook over low heat for 3-4 minutes until it starts to boil.
8. Turn off heat then pour in the cornstarch slurry mixture and mix until it thickens. You can add some more sliced oranges, if desired.
9. Add the cauliflower into the glaze and mix until well incorporated. Sprinkle some sesame seeds, if desired. Enjoy while hot!